Introduce Yourself!

Come hang out & shoot the breeze!
bowker
ShipComrade Staff

Introduce Yourself!

Postby bowker » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:42 am

As our community grows by the day on the forums and social media, it's time to do some proper introductions.

You could be as detailed or un-detailed as you'd like. Build our community starts and ends with us so I feel as if it'd be nice to "meet" you guys. The more people we know, the more people we can division up with and hit the high seas. Let us know where you're from, what you're into and whatever else you'd guys like to share.

So, let me start and break the ice.

About Me
I'm bowker. I'm a 28 year old Army Vet of the War in Iraq. I have been in the Army for a total of 7 years. 4 years active, the past 3 years in the National Guard. I'm a Staff Sergeant overseeing a platoon of about 15 Forward Observers. As an FO I'm responsible for all indirect fires for the Army (mortar, artillery, aircraft, and naval gunfire) I'm currently living in Brooklyn, NY and working in advertising. I'm one of the social media managers here for ShipComrade for North America and will be seen tweeting and facebook-ing for the site. I work in Advertising for brands like FedEx, Splenda, Bacardi and Lowe's. I'm all about computers, have been since I can remember. Though I'm not too old I can remember the DOS days and Windows 3.0 for getting my Doom and Wolfenstein on. :lol:

Games I Play
Of course I play Warships, however I can also be seen playing pretty much everything else if work isn't destroying my schedule. I'm on PS4 and Xbox One playing Forza 6 primarily right now, and NHL 16 on PS4. (Go Devils) World of Warcraft, Hearthstone and all the other typical Blizzard games as well as FPS. Red Orchestra, CoD ( I love the first one) and many more.

WorldOfWarships Handle
You can find me on the NA Server. My username is bowker. Real original. :roll:

So, I'm excited to get to know the people of the community. Tell us your likes, dislikes, how you found us and let us get to know you and in doing so help make our growing community feel more like a community!
bowker
ShipComrade NA Social Media Manager
TopDawg

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby TopDawg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 am

About Me
Hi my real name is Terry and I am from the UK and I am 58 ex army guy now working in Telecomms. I currently work for Ericcsson (past was Orange in the UK and BT), I climb masts and fix the base station equipment so you guys can make calls and surf the net on your phones and tablets etc. Married for 33 years and have 3 daughters. Did 24 years in the army where I met my wife who was also serving. I play under the name of TopDawg in wows and wot and usually TopDog in most other games. I am a Global Moderator here and play on the EU servers all the time. Feel free to add me in either game and on twitter if you wish @T0pD0g.

Games I play(ed)
Play WoT, WoWs AW and most FPS although I do like strategy games. I also play by mail (PBM) and run a game called Briny en Garde ( http://www.brinyengarde.co.uk/news.php ) where I am admin and some times GM. I also run the forums for a company called AGEMA ( http://agema.darkbb.com/ )a PBM company and play their games. Basicaly like military games and themed games with a challenge. I usually hang out with a group of guys in a clan (loose term friends would be better) called MasheD tags are MaD in game.

Hope to see you all about and online feel free to chat and abuse me.... :mrgreen:
Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

Postby Istvan56 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello, my name in game is Istvan56 on NA & RU servers and Indomitable_56 on the EU server but my friends call me Jerry in real life. I too am ex-Army, the Army National Guard but not a vet as I was just in and out in a short period in 1974 due to having a heart murmur. The US Army doctor told me that I could find other ways to serve my country and I did, I became a deputy constable in 1981, then a federal police officer in 1987 and since that was mostly boring, worked with big and small city police departments starting in 1991 as a volunteer on the side. I've retired from all that and now am "Paul Blart, Mall Cop"'s boss, working in private security at the management level. I'm a 59 year old grandfather with 18 kids (2 bio-, 8 step-, and 8 foster-adopt) and 3 grand-kids. My other hobbies besides gaming are writing stories (fiction and non-fiction), shooting and hunting. I used to collect guns, swords, bayonets and militaria from WW-II through the end of the Cold War but that's all sold off or given to my kids.

I've been war gaming since a kid. The Avalon Hill game Tactics II came out the year after I was born but was still a great game to play when I was a teen in the early 1970's. I did the board war gaming until something better came along and it did, in 1976 E. Gary Gygax came up with Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) RPG. I didn't get involved with that at first since I was in South Korea at the time, I started playing paper and dice AD&D first edition in 1979 while in college. Then after 1986 with the advent of personal computers (PC's) I got playing RTS, Arcade, FPS, RPG, etc. games. I've had consoles but I prefer the PC since I like to employ mods that enhance graphics and add to the look of the game, not hacks, cheats, god modes or even aim assists. :evil:

Also I'm an armchair military historian, the kind that started out as a kid building model planes, tanks, and ships then researching their stories. My father got me started in model building and looking at the histories of the vehicles I built. He was in the US Navy and served in the Korean War as a hospital corpsman and then aboard a Saipan class CVL, the USS Wright leaving the US Navy just after the covered up disaster of Operation Wig-Wam had him treating radiation poisoned sailors from the targets' tugboat, USS Tawasa, which gave him secondary radiation exposure and subsequent cancers. I was conceived and born right after the exposure and I've wondered about my hidden birth defect (I didn't know until I joined up about the murmur) and subsequent fights with cancer were related to that or not. I didn't know about the nuclear test exposure until after my father's death. He kept the Navy's secret as he was sworn to, taking it with him to the grave, but my mother found out and let me know six years after he was gone.

Both of my grandfathers served in World War II, my paternal grandfather in the US Army in European Theater and my maternal grandfather in the US Navy in the Pacific Theater. I also had a maternal great-uncle who served in the Italian Campaign in the US Army Signal Corps and his older sister, my grandmother "Liberty Belle" worked building Mitchell B-25 bombers. She was literally a "Rosy the Riveter" as she did the riveting of the plane skins and then rose to inspector over the all women work crew that skinned the planes. So to me military history isn't just about the campaigns, battles and major personalities, it is also the personal stories of individuals who fought in them. Which is why when I tell the story of a ship here on ShipComrade.com I try to bring to life at least the skipper of the ship.

I am currently playing WoT, WoWs and in a week, Fallout 4 (a big fan of Bethesda games).
Critters
Site Admin

Postby Critters » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:26 pm

About Me
I go by the handle Critter. Real name is Bill. I am 43, married for 25 years, have 2 adult daughters (21 & 24) and a 1 year old Grandson. Served US Army 90-97. After the Military, I got into IT and am currently the IT Manager for a manufacturing company. I have 17 years experience in all aspects of IT. I currently own a home in Palm Bay, Florida where the entire family still lives with me.

Games I Play
World of Warships (of course), World of Tanks, World of Warcraft (10+ yrs), rFactor 2 & Assetto Corsa. When it comes to rFactor 2 & Assetto Corsa. I go full simulator using a G27 Racing Wheel. I do not own a console. PC gamer all the way

WorldOfWarships Handle
ShipComrade (NA) & ShipComrade (EU)

As far as the rest. Guess I will save some typing and just post my interview with Tanks FTM. Yea, I cheated :)

Creator of ShipComrade.com : News, Guides & Community.
AdmiralAlkiviadis

Postby AdmiralAlkiviadis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:29 am

Ahoy fellow SC forum members!

My name is Alkiviadis, and I find it quite amusing to be using a nickname with the rank of Admiral, since IRL Alkiviadis was an ancient Greek general who led a massive naval campaign against Syracuse in Sicily.

I am a 23 year old political sciences student from downtown Athens, Greece, currently pursuing my master's degree in international relations and strategic studies. I have been a history aficionado and admirer of all things warfare for as long as I can remember (tanks and mechanized units, air forces, reconnaissance etc), but my one true love has always been naval history and the steel giants that once roared in anger in furious battles.

I was introduced to massive online multiplayer wargaming through War Thunder, which I thought, at the time of release, had the most satisfying gameplay mechanics one could enjoy as far as dogfighting goes. It also had fantastic graphics and impeccable sound, so I was naturally drawn to it. However, a certain patch broke economy and XP progression systems to a point that I had no spare time to devote to it, so I abandoned it for greener pastures and applied for alpha testing in World of Warplanes. That was my first formal contact with Wargaming.net and its warfare universe.

WoWP proved to be a different kind of beast, but sadly didn't get the polish it deserved in a multitude of departments, and remained an arcade experience that I couldn't consider as my online warfare mainstay. Despite that fact, I have always been a proponent of having variety in one's gaming interests, even if in the end one does not like a game, so I had to try out World of Tanks to form a proper opinion, and to know once and for all if WG's games were for me or not.

My first impressions were mixed. The game looked good, but that was not why I was there. I was looking for proper teamwork, for tactics, for interesting vehicles and intense battles. What I got, and that is entirely proportional to the free time I had available to play games, was an uninspiring low tier drag, comprised mainly of light tanks from the early mechanized warfare era. I tried to give the game another chance, and try to eliminate factors I thought of as RNG, like my opponents penetrating my armor easily and myself shooting to no effect. That's when I turned to Youtube to seek guidance, and stumbled upon the Mighty Jingles. I watched carefully as technical terms such as angling the armor, shooting for commander's hatches etc. were explained to me and decided it was time for another run. I tried my best, but still got nothing. The game was pure frustration, and the uninstall was swift.

Boy oh boy am I thankful that my past experiences with WoWP and WoT didn't put me off WG's games for life. Fast forward to April 2015, the World of Warships closed beta being all the rage. I knew I had to try it out, but unfortunately I had to wait. And once the wait was over, I sank my teeth into it eagerly. It paid off in spades. The game provides a far more lenient progression curve that feels less grindy up to tier 6 (which I consider to be the game's high-point of fun-to-credits-earned ratio), looks amazing and provides, every once in a while, proper chances to utilize teamwork.

One of those chances presented itself to me recently, when I met TopDawg in his Imperator Nikolai ingame and was asked to provide AA support with my Tenryu. Needless to say, not only did we pull off an amazing run that game, but we got acquainted and carried on for a few more rounds, and I also got introduced to the big family that is ShipComrade.

For all these things I am thankful, and I am happy to be joining one of the most active WoWs communities in the world. I am looking forward to seeing all of you ingame, and wish everyone all the best in their efforts.
TopDawg

Postby TopDawg » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:11 am

Welcome Alkiviadis. It was a pleasure to play with you it was really nice to get some in game support and assistance. We proved how much co op works in game for the next 4 games having a good run. Glad you took time to post an intro I am sure you will find your self in good company here.

See you in game again shortly....
SakeBreath

Postby SakeBreath » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Hello my name is Ellis.

I join the army at the age on 22 in 2006. After about 5 years service and some time in Iraq my injuries got me a Medical Discharge.

Now I spend my time living with my parents exploring cooking, and making my own homemade seasoning rubs for meat. My specialty for cooking is sauces and stews and or soups.
When the weather is nice i like to sit outside and slow smoke cure meat for jerky.
My hobbies besides cooking, are Lego building. right now i have a Lego Ship of my own design. It is a mix. I combined the size of a Battleship with the hull built torpedoes of a Cruiser, She is over 3 feet long and yes I can add pictures when i can find the right driver for my webcam

Games I play. Yes I have Steam and you may add me. My name is SakeBreath.
Games I play. World of Warships, Borderlands, Pre-Sequel Borderlands, Tales From Borderlands, Serious Sam, Sometimes Diablo 3.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day. I forgot I only play World of Warships on the NA server.
bowker
ShipComrade Staff

Postby bowker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks for the reply Ellis, nice to "meet" you.

Thanks for your service! I got out of active duty in 2012 and have been in the Guard ever since. Be sure to upload some pictures, that ship sounds incredible. Welcome to the community!
bowker
ShipComrade NA Social Media Manager
SakeBreath

Postby SakeBreath » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:23 am

my old web cam from 2007 isn't support so I am looking for a new web cam. I am also working on another ship.

for me they are fun projects. now only if i had more Lego's. the only block product for me. i still have the Lego's I got back in the 80's they still stick, unlike those knocks like megablocks.

thank you for your reply.

And also to you many thanks for your service and sacrifices
Furysghost

Postby Furysghost » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:56 pm

Hello All

I am Furysghost.

I have been gaming for lo these many years! LOL
I am 63 yrs young so no exaggeration there.

Got my 1st computer in 1995 and with win 95 discovered computer gaming in its infancy. Have always been an amateur war historian so l just naturally gravitated to war gaming primarily.
l served several years in Canadian Armed Forces (Army reserve). Grew up in a RCN naval port city.
Have been an avid shooter and outdoors man since a child.

Lived on board a 65 ft yacht (built in 47/drew 80 tons) for a time and until recently spent as much time as possible on the water in various boats and vessels.
Played most of the popular titles up to present day. Avalon Hill and early Matrix games too on the old school board style.

I got my nickname from WOT (where I am a clan deputy commander) and have been playing Wows since it went OB. l am at about 1000+ games now.

Found this site and have lurked a bit.
Really like the site so decided to join up.

Cheers
fury

Return to “General Discussion”