Warspite - Tier VI Premium Queen Elizabeth Class

Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

Warspite - Tier VI Premium Queen Elizabeth Class

Postby Istvan56 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks to Tanz and his 1941 Mediterranean camo mod for Warspite. This is the picture he posted that may have inspired him to make his skin mod.

HMS Warspite was announced as a premium ship for closed beta testers on April 18, 2015. Back then it was said to be only for the CBT and would be removed from the game with the pre-Open Beta Test account wipe. All tokens spent for purchasing her would be refunded but she would not be available after the wipe. Fortunately for us the Developers at WoWs had a change of heart and included Warspite briefly into OBT. It has now been withdrawn from the Premium Shop but will return sometime in the future either before or with the British Tech Tree.

Alpha Tester MaliceA4Thought posted this picture of his Warspite in Tanz's camo skin which I also use. If you use the 3% spotting reduction camo it doesn't look that bad on top of this camo, unlike the zebra striped 4% hitting reduction camo. To preserve the skin mod you have to disable the in game camo if you want to play with the benefits of WG's camo without having the horrible result. Check on Tanz's mod page in the WoWs forums to find out how to disable WG's ship camos client side (your side). You will see your skin mods and other players will just see the WG camo server side.

HMS Warspite had a long and glorious history. Rather than recount it here I'm going to refer you to iChaseGaming's excellent YouTube channel where he complied a detailed history of the Queen Elizabeth-class battleships and HMS Warspite in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv6V7GAyPic

Interestingly enough when Warspite joined CBT there was an outcry of protest by die hard Royal Navy fans who felt the Devs had slighted this great warship. Had it been a football match (soccer to us Yanks) there would've been a riot. The forum was filled with posts complaining about the "short" range guns (only 16.3 km), the slow speed (24 knots) and horrible turret rotation rate (similar to Yamato's which wasn't in game yet). One thing they gave her credit for was armor and the quick rudder shift speed allowing her to dodge enemy salvos whether long range fire or torpedoes.

Here is iChase again with his review of Warspite during CBT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_43zWKJ9gAU

This was all before the US Navy's battleships came out. Once the USN BB's were out and there was something to compare Warspite to besides the longer-ranged Kongo, Fuso and Nagato the cries of "fowl" went away. In fact, the Warspite is a really good battleship when compared to the Tier III-VII US Navy battlewagons, even being the nerfed premium version of the Queen Elizabeth-class which is yet to be seen. I'm sure that the Royal Navy fans will be pleased when the British Tech Tree is released...unless Bismarck again sinks HMS Hood and we'll have the hooligans rioting on the forums. :lol:

Anyway, here is a review by The Mighty Jingles and in here he talks tactics back in CBT just after Warspite's release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07WXmSpUzns

The next review is by CornySwiss or as he is known on his YouTube channel, CornyBros. I am including him since he reviewed Warspite 1 month after iChase and The Mighty Jingles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2sO8DElcI

So what has changed, if anything, since Warspite was released? Well, there is one important change to all ships that carry spotting planes, such as Warspite's Walrus, that came after Open Beta Test release. That is the 2km range bonus to firing you get when your spotting plane is up. So now the Warspite can fire at 18.3 km instead of 16.3 km. With premium consumables and the captain skill giving you a 4th plane in your hanger you can stand off and smash things while quite able to dodge return fire. When the Warspite returns to the Premium Shop I recommend her to anyone who has mastered the basics of battleship play.
bjens

Re: Warspite - Tier VI Premium Queen Elizabeth Class

Postby bjens » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:43 am

Bought the Grand old lady last day and had one game in the evening.

Was not a very good performance on my part, I believe I sort of charged ahead and got myself needlessly killed too soon. But only after the forward guns had placed a beautifull group of APs into the citadel of a Omaha and sinking it in one shot.

I guess if I play it a bit more like my new mexico it will be a great brawler. Now if only my good man Archibald also could get himself some skills :)
TopDawg
Community Member

Postby TopDawg » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:07 am

same here it needs support to be effective it cannot go off on its own, I did and got rammed full of torps 6 I think and survived and sank the DD who launched them.
bjens

Postby bjens » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:14 am

How about in ranked? tried it there yet. I'm having the worst luck against warspites in my New Mexico, never penetrating anything with my APs :(
Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

Postby Istvan56 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:06 am

The Warspite is my ship of choice for ranked games. In my first ranked battle I killed a Nagato in a one-on-one duel after already being set ablaze by his consort cruiser and being down half my health when he was at 85%. We got into secondary gun range and they did over 1.9k damage as we passed in opposite directions while my main guns hammered his ship. I was barely alive but was able to hit my damage control (it had just reset) and trigger my repair party. My team went on to win while he accused me of cheating. :evil:

The key is using what strengths the Warspite has, quick rudder shift to quickly angle or to turn to expose reloaded turrets, dodge torpedoes and with decent AA, help take down attacking squadrons harassing fellow teammates. The range with the Walrus spotting plane is over 18 km, good but not great when compared to a Fuso or a Nagato even. So don't try to snipe, close to mid range or brawl up close like a British bare knuckle boxer. The Warspite is a beefy English bulldog, not a French poodle, it is built to take hits and keep going.
spectral90

Postby spectral90 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:44 am

Any idea when British BB line will be released or at least inrodused?
PelicanHazard

Postby PelicanHazard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 am

spectral90 wrote:Any idea when British BB line will be released or at least inrodused?

No one knows. It's been said that the Royal Navy will be the 5th nation released, after the Germans and Russians, though it is vague whether that means after those two nations have all four lines or whether the release of the Russian destroyers and German cruisers means some line of the Royal Navy is next.

Either way, no official news, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
Breksinglwg

View the latest post

Postby Breksinglwg » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:06 am

Is there a way to display messages with the latest reply first so we dont have to jump many pages to get to the latest reply??

Any help is appreciated.
TopDawg
Community Member

Postby TopDawg » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:55 am

its in user Control Panel, board preferences, Edit display setting. change it there the current view is the default you are seeing
Martincery

Re Warspite Tier VI Premiu…

Postby Martincery » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:08 pm

i want a tier 10 brawler with speed so last week i decided to go up the russian heavy line. i am at the KV1s with the last 122 gun and wow, this is like the death star of tier 6. even with with low rof, its my fav tier 6 tank. to compare, i have the arl 44 and m6 and churchill vii as well.

whats your favs?

Return to “Britain”