USS Buffalo - Tier X premium CA?????

Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

USS Buffalo - Tier X premium CA?????

Postby Istvan56 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:35 pm

Okay, Devs, you got me here. In Patch Notes for 0.4.1.0 there was a new ship, the USS Buffalo. As Critter8 noted on the ship tree, it has some interesting stats making it the Montana of cruisers. It has four triple turrets with 8" guns, not the semi-auto loading guns of the Baltimore-class but conventional guns. And unlike other high tier USN cruisers, it has torpedoes! Wow, what a ship!

Now for the bafflement:
1) Where did they find this ship plan?
2) There were two never completed USS Buffaloes, a Cleveland-class (CL-99) and a Fargo-class (CL-110) but no other cruiser was named that.
3) Buffalo, NY was used for naming light cruisers only, why the break with USN convention for this paper ship?
4) Last, but not least, since when does WG offer Tier X premium ships???
Critters
Site Admin

Re: USS Buffalo - Tier X premium CA?????

Postby Critters » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:34 am

Istvan56,
Not so sure this will be a Premium. Wargaming has only done 1 Tier 10 premium that I know of. That was the Tank in World of Tanks that you received after doing the mission line that had 3 main missions, with 15 sub missions per class. So a total of 135 missions making it extremely rare.

As far as the database API. From the looks, Wargaming will put a gold cost of 500 when they are not sure if it will be a premium or not. Hence why the ship details say TBD on the gold & credit costs and the premium fields.

If I had to guess. This will not be a premium. It will either be a replacement for the current Tier 10 American Cruiser or It will be a new branch that may branch off in the higher Tiers of the American Cruiser line. It is all speculation though.

On a different subject, how you like the new Ship details? Getting better all the time!
Creator of ShipComrade.com : News, Guides & Community.
Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

Postby Istvan56 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:51 pm

I do like the details you are getting and putting into the tree. As for the Buffalo, it does look like the top of a second cruiser tree which would be an easy thing to do with the US Navy as they have so many cruiser classes yet to bring into the game. The problem is that it is a heavy cruiser and not a light cruiser for Tier X. Here are some of the missing cruisers in different trees:

For the Light Cruiser Tree that branches off from Omaha-class at Tier V:
Brooklyn-class CL (Tier VI)
St Louis-class CL (Tier VII light cruiser tree)
Cleveland-class CL (Tier VIII w/ restoration to its former glory - err, rebalanced for tier :roll: )
Worchester-class CL (Tier IX light cruiser tree)
Paper-ships, unnamed design for AA cruisers to be built in 1945 as CL-154-159 but were cancelled. (Tier X light cruiser tree, I would think Seattle-class as that city was due to come around again sometime)

Premiums Light Cruisers:
Oakland-class (improved Atlanta)
Juneau-class (further improved Atlanta)

Primary Heavy Cruiser Tree from Tier V split from Light Cruisers:
Pensicola-class CA (Tier VI)
Portland-class CA (Tier VII)
New Orleans-class CA (Tier VIII)
Baltimore-class (Tier IX)
Des Moines-class (Tier X)

For the second Heavy Cruiser tree from Tier VI Heavy Cruisers:
Northampton-class CA (Tier VII)
Wichita-class CA (Tier VIII but a single ship class)
Oregon City-class CA (Tier IX)
Buffalo-class CA (Tier X)

Premium Heavy Cruisers:
Pennsylvania-class Armored Cruisers (Tier II)
Tennessee-class Armored Cruisers (Tier III)
ShermanMedium

Postby ShermanMedium » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:19 pm

St. Louis is the Brooklyn with a smaller citadel and an engine that's harder to knock out. Worcester is also a confirmed tier X.
TanksFTM
NA Contributor

Postby TanksFTM » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:05 am

Me Likey!
TanksfortheMammeries
Noise, with dirt on it.
Visit my Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TanksForTheMammeries
Twitter: @seancaskie
Twitch: Tanks_for_the_Mammeries

World of Tanks, World of Warships, Star Citizen and Armored Warfare
Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

Postby Istvan56 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Well, Critter8's discovery of the Buffalo did not go unnoticed or unmentioned in the official forums plus it generated WG staffer response:

New Premium Cruiser Tier X Buffalo?. It is on the Spanish forum of the European Server so I'll Google Translate the response:

Delhorh, WG staff and the EU Spanish Community Manager wrote an answer to Question 4: "Note: Wargaming never sell boats [higher] than premium tier VIII."

He then expounded further in answer to a player's comment:
QuentinEverettDeverill, on 10 September 2015 - 10:51 a.m., said: "Since X is tier and excellent reminder our communty manager clearly be a reward only CW or 10 tier personal missions as WOT"

Delhorh answered with: "Indeed such ships could exist in the future, as happens in WoT PC. Aye, there is that possibility does not mean that you implement or that developers are working on it right now. As you know every game Wargaming has his studio dedicated exclusively to each game and each mode of developing the game it is different. Cheers"
TanksFTM
NA Contributor

Postby TanksFTM » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:12 pm

Really interesting stuff. Appreciate the information!
TanksfortheMammeries
Noise, with dirt on it.
Visit my Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TanksForTheMammeries
Twitter: @seancaskie
Twitch: Tanks_for_the_Mammeries

World of Tanks, World of Warships, Star Citizen and Armored Warfare
1AngryMarine

Postby 1AngryMarine » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm not sure where WG would go with a CA-54 USS Buffalo. In all the ships they've put in the game are ships that were actually built and sailed, scrapped or never left the drawing board (blueprints). From what I reviewed the US Navy attempted on 3 occasions to build the USS Buffalo but all were intended to be a Light Cruiser (CL). This is what I could find. CL 84 BUFFALO (cancelled), CL 99 Buffalo (Cleveland Class), completed as USS Bataan CVL 29, CL-110 Buffalo(Fargo Class) ( scrapped incomplete). Is this from someone's thought up idea at WoWS??

Return to “American”