Rekinu Gaming Rig

Fun Stuff
Rekinu

Rekinu Gaming Rig

Postby Rekinu » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:30 am

Corsair Carbide Series™ 330R Titanium Edition Black Steel Aluminum and Plastic Mid-Tower Computer Case

EVGA X99 Classified LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

X2 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0

EVGA 120-G2-1600-X1 1600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3333 (PC4-26600)

X3 SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

32'' LG UHD 4K

And yes that is a Gigabyte 3 way sli connector waiting on my evga one to get delivered :(
Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

Re: Rekinu Gaming Rig

Postby Istvan56 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Nice rig, I take it you built it yourself. 8-)
safesoc

Postby safesoc » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 am

Wow thats a powerhouse! Nice work.
twitch.tv/safesoc
@safesocTV
Rekinu

Postby Rekinu » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:19 am

Istvan56 wrote:Nice rig, I take it you built it yourself. 8-)

Yes i did.

Thanks
VonMayhem

Postby VonMayhem » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:02 am

May i ask a question?

Do you think its cheaper to build or upgrade our own computer or buy one thats already built for gaming? im asking because

I have a Hp P6654y, its a few yrs old but has served me well,,,Quad core,2.8 ghz. 8mb ram, 4 of which i added myself, 750 gb Hd with a 2 500 Gb expansion drives,24 inch monitor...but my graphics card is bottom line so im looking to upgrade that but i think i have to upgrade my power supply first..it only puts out a dismal 250 watts..so after power supply,, graphics card, im thinking better chipset for the motherboard... i have AMD X4 630 so would like to move up the clock to maybe 3.2. or 3.6 ghz because it does lag a bit if im playing WOW and ie listening to music..Im not totally computer illiterate..I used to work at Silicon Graphics Inc in the 90's in manufacturing and a couple other computer companies in the silicon valley so i know how to change and replace parts, just gets confusing when im trying to figure out what parts to change......

Or

Spend around 1000 on a new gaming system? which i dont really have...

any input would be appreciated , thank you in advance
Istvan56
ShipComrade Staff

Postby Istvan56 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:51 am

You can keep upgrading what you have for a while but it won't be a top end gaming machine like Rekinu has. Yes, power supply first as 250 watts is totally underpowered. I prefer Gold rated rather than Bronze or uncertified power supplies. You'll want a 650 watt or above to support a decent card and chipset.

Next is look at what your motherboard will support for upgrades and memory. An Intel quad core or an AMD six core are minimums for processing power. I went AMD and Rekinu went Intel, mine was cheaper and performs about the same as his. Mine is rated much faster but it is how the cores communicate that determines their true capability so the numbers don't matter that much, an AMD is less capable so has to have higher clock speed to perform on par with an Intel chipset. Also with a new chipset look at your cooling fans, are you using conventional air cooling or going with liquid cooled? Are they quiet fans? Overheating is death for a CPU as for graphic cards (later).

Memory, 8 gig is okay if fast DDR3 such as 2133 mhz. but still that isn't on par with most gaming machines today that run 32 gig of top end memory. Your motherboard may have up to 4 slots for memory. After you've upgraded the first two items, power supply and CPU then you can think of memory. Max out what you can for your motherboard using the fastest RAM for the first slot and the slowest for the outer slot if you have to mix them. Likely you'll only have 2 slots so get 2x8 gig DDR3 sticks for 16 gig like I did. It is a mid-range and will serve me for years.

Graphics card: Look at price and do some comparing of cards online, go for those reviews and watch for bargains. Don't let a bundle with goodies fool you into buying a lesser card. Get the best card you can afford. I had to compromise on mine, money was an issue (always is, isn't it?) and so went with a Nvidia GTX 960 when I wanted a 970 or higher. Get the most RAM as you can on the card too, it makes a difference between a 2 gig and a 4 gig version of the same card. Of course look in your machine and see how much room you have for the new card and read the card specs for size before buying. Also cards may have one or two cooling fans. Make sure there is room for the fans to get proper airflow in your PC case.

I hope this helps you.
VonMayhem

Postby VonMayhem » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:01 pm

, Thank You very much, yes ,it was a big help.. with the details you mentioned it will definately save me alot of time and money. I think with just a few of the upgrades you mentioned i will be fine. After doing a little more research my graphics card is low end( ATi RAdeon 4200) and after using the performance index program on my computer it does have the lowest score....and as you mentioned i have to be careful because there isnt much room inside the tower, so i have to go with a low profile graphics card..so im going to start with a Gold Standard power supply and a new graphics card with a decent amount of memory..theres a couple different ones ive been reading about,just have to make sure it will fit . ...Im also upgrading my mountain bike ,slowly,so money is an issue...thanks again for taking the time to explain things for/ to me......Hope to see u on the seas'
Regards
VonMayhem

Postby VonMayhem » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:39 am

Hello, so i ended up getting a EVGA GeForce gtx 750 ti video card off anazon for 120.00 and my fps went from and avg of 5-6 to 65-70. What a difference,lol, i cant imagine how it must look and play when your fps is at 125.....

Im probably not using the card to its fullest potential, but it still makes an awesome addition. My windows index on graphics went from 4.3 to 7.1 as well. I didnt need to upgrade my psu cause the card doesnt draw much power, but its still something i will be upgrading in the next week

thanks again Istvan56 for the suggestions,,,

not that im big on stats because i was mostly playing against bots, but ive been doing the ranked battles and went from whatever it is u start at, i think 20 to 11 in as many days..i don't have any tier 7 ships so can only go so far,,i think lvl 10 you need tier 7 and 8 ships.

also my kill ratio went up slightly as well as some other stats but Im a compulsively neurotic spammer of the fire button so my hit ratio
s only went up a few points...lol

so im trying to figure out how to lower my "ping" and also what other upgrades would make a difference as far as my computers speed..Hence im back rereading the suggestions given to me

Regards , and Happy Holidays
Rekinu

Postby Rekinu » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:53 pm

Sorry for the delay i have been on vacation for a couple months please let me know if you need any more help.

VonMayhem wrote:May i ask a question?

Do you think its cheaper to build or upgrade our own computer or buy one thats already built for gaming? im asking because

I have a Hp P6654y, its a few yrs old but has served me well,,,Quad core,2.8 ghz. 8mb ram, 4 of which i added myself, 750 gb Hd with a 2 500 Gb expansion drives,24 inch monitor...but my graphics card is bottom line so im looking to upgrade that but i think i have to upgrade my power supply first..it only puts out a dismal 250 watts..so after power supply,, graphics card, im thinking better chipset for the motherboard... i have AMD X4 630 so would like to move up the clock to maybe 3.2. or 3.6 ghz because it does lag a bit if im playing WOW and ie listening to music..Im not totally computer illiterate..I used to work at Silicon Graphics Inc in the 90's in manufacturing and a couple other computer companies in the silicon valley so i know how to change and replace parts, just gets confusing when im trying to figure out what parts to change......

Or

Spend around 1000 on a new gaming system? which i dont really have...

any input would be appreciated , thank you in advance
Rekinu

Postby Rekinu » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:04 pm

There is a lot of ways to speed up your computer performance and internet ping speeds, is this a fresh os install?

VonMayhem wrote:Hello, so i ended up getting a EVGA GeForce gtx 750 ti video card off anazon for 120.00 and my fps went from and avg of 5-6 to 65-70. What a difference,lol, i cant imagine how it must look and play when your fps is at 125.....

Im probably not using the card to its fullest potential, but it still makes an awesome addition. My windows index on graphics went from 4.3 to 7.1 as well. I didnt need to upgrade my psu cause the card doesnt draw much power, but its still something i will be upgrading in the next week

thanks again Istvan56 for the suggestions,,,

not that im big on stats because i was mostly playing against bots, but ive been doing the ranked battles and went from whatever it is u start at, i think 20 to 11 in as many days..i don't have any tier 7 ships so can only go so far,,i think lvl 10 you need tier 7 and 8 ships.

also my kill ratio went up slightly as well as some other stats but Im a compulsively neurotic spammer of the fire button so my hit ratio
s only went up a few points...lol

so im trying to figure out how to lower my "ping" and also what other upgrades would make a difference as far as my computers speed..Hence im back rereading the suggestions given to me

Regards , and Happy Holidays

Return to “Computer Setups”