Quick Summary: A large Soviet cruiser with battleship caliber guns.
- Enormous hit point pool of 71,050hp
- Excellent armour protection for a cruiser with 230mm belt armour.
- Excellent anti-torpedo protection for a cruiser at 34% damage reduction.
- Good range for a tier IX cruiser at 18.19km.
- Great gun handling for her main battery including excellent fire arcs.
- Powerful AP shells with high alpha strike, excellent ballistics and penetration.
- Fast reload for battleship caliber guns at 18.5 seconds.
- Access to Soviet Surveillance Radar consumable.
- Citadel is very long with two large weak points at the fore and aft of the ship.
- Poor HE performance with very low DPM and fires per minute.
- Poor anti-aircraft firepower.
- Large 830m turning radius and poor rudder shift time of 14.9 seconds.
- Enormous surface detection range of 16.2km.
- No access to Hydroacoustic Search.
Skill Floor: Simple / Casual / Challenging / Difficult
Skill Ceiling: Low / Moderate / High / Extreme
– One of, if not the worst at its tier. This is a pronounced weakness.– Middle of the pack at its tier. Not terrible, but not terribly good either.
– Has a significant advantage over her tier mates. A solid, competitive performer.
– No other ship at its tier does this as well as this ship.
- Primacy at tier IX for Offense is hotly contested. There’s excellent arguments to be made for ships like Buffalo, Neptune and Roon for having the best offensive capabilities here. This is why there’s an asterix here. I’m giving to Kronshtadt due to her overwhelming alpha strike and penetration power with her AP shells. However, my readers should be aware the race is nearly too close to call and I mulled this over for a long time before reaching this decision.
- There’s no contest for Defense. Kronshtatd is the . She has battleship levels of protection compared to the cruiser levels of everyone else (admittedly it is low tier battleship protection, but battleship protection just the same). Her large hit point pool also guarantees her more health regeneration grace of her Repair Party than anything other than Neptune.
- In the rest of the categories, Kronshtadt is predictably . She out turns Dmitri Donskoi but she’s slower. Her Anti-Air power is weak and is only functional thanks to access to Defensive Fire. She’s the largest ship at her tier and her only redeeming quality in Vision Control (Refrigerator) is her Soviet Surveillance Radar.
Kronshtadt has only a single option with her consumables — the choice between Defensive Fire and a Spotter Aircraft in her second consumable slot. All of her consumables are otherwise standard for a tier IX Soviet Cruiser, including her Surveillance Radar with its 11.7km range and a 20 second active period.
Your upgrade options for Kronshtadt shouldn’t be too surprising. She doesn’t have the anti-aircraft firepower to worth specializing into so you want to emphasize gunnery and mitigating and/or avoiding damage.
- If you have access to one, then Surveillance Radar Modification 1 is optimal for the second slot. This is a highly prized upgrade, however, and you may have other ships you would prefer to place it upon. Still, if you have one to spare, Kronshtadt (and your team) benefits well from you having this equipped. You should default to Damage Control System Modification 1 otherwise.
- Defensively, Steering Gears Modification 2 is a better choice over Damage Control Modification 2. Kronshtadt burns for 45 seconds base instead of 30 seconds for a cruiser (or 60 seconds for a battleship). While reducing fire damage helps, avoiding attack altogether by responding more quickly to threats is better. With the shorter reset timer upon her Damage Control Party, fires burning for their full duration is less of a concern.
- Offensively, you have the choice between higher damage per minute (DPM) totals or increasing the range at which Kronshtadt shoots. With Main Battery Modification 3, her reload time drops to just below 16.3s. With Gun Fire Control System Modification 2 you can upgrade her range to a very comfortable 21.1km reach.
Kronshtadt comes with a tier IX, Type 10 Camouflage. This provides 100% bonus experience gains, a 20% reduction to service costs, 3% reduced surface detection range and increases dispersion of incoming fire by 4%
Main Battery: Nine 305mm guns in 3×3 turrets in an A-B-X superfiring configuration.
Her AP shells are ridiculous. They have the equivalent penetration power of German 380mm L/52 battleship guns found on Gneisenau, Tirpitz and Bismarck. Their penetration allows them to contest the belt armour of even the highest tier battleships inside of 15km. Damage per shell is where they lack, weighing in somewhere between a German 305mm shell and a French 340mm equivalent. This will be the default ammunition you use in most encounters, primarily because her HE shells are lackluster. This is a problem at very close ranges against enemy cruisers where, like Roma before her, Kronshtadt has a little too much penetration and will overpen cruisers. It’s important to keep engagement distances at arm’s length as a result.
It really is a shame Kronshtadt doesn’t have better secondaries. Her firing angles and turret rotation speed would be amazing for brawling. Oh well.
What would have to happen to DOWNGRADE to : (*) It’s too close a race to call. I personally feel that Buffalo and Neptune are close competitors for the best cruiser firepower at tier IX, so it wouldn’t take much for Kronshtadt to lose her crown. Her big strength over her competitors is just how easy she is to use, gunnery wise.
Hit Points: 71,050hp
Maximum Citadel Protection:
- 25mm prow + 330mm transverse bulkhead (bow on)
- 230mm belt + 90mm citadel wall (broadside)
Minimum Extremities & Deck Armour: 25mm
Torpedo Damage Reduction: 34%
Kronshtadt has a lot of hit points, not only for a cruiser but for any ship. She has more hit points than all the tier VIII battleships (including fatties like Bismarck and Tirpitz). She exceeds all other cruisers in the game but Stalingrad at tier X. This in turn gives her a huge slug of healing every time she activates her Repair Party consumable. This combination of heals and hit points allows her to suffer more direct damage than any other tier IX cruiser. Armour wise, she’s also tops. Kronshtadt boasts a 230mm belt running down the length of the ship. Her citadel, while enormous, is all found at the waterline, and is well protected — well mostly.
The armour profile of Kronsthadt’s interior, also demonstrating the absolute enormity of her citadel spaces. When taking broadside shots, the only safe areas for her to be struck are the very tip of her bow and stern. Even when angling, you want to try and bait shots at the belt beneath the #2 turret. Large caliber (220mm+) shots aimed at the #1 turret that are aimed high risk overmatching the 15mm roof of Kronshtadt’s citadel.
Special mention needs be made to these two forms of attack. Let’s start with fire: Kronshtadt burns for 45 seconds when she’s set ablaze as opposed to 60s for a battleship and 30s for a cruiser. This makes skills like Basics of Survivability and the Damage Control Modification 2 upgrade more valuable on Kronshtadt than they would be on a cruiser but less valuable than they would be on a battleship. This is generally good news for using her as a training ship — you don’t need some special survivability build foreign to other Soviet cruisers to make her competitive.
What would have to happen to DOWNGRADE to : There’s no way any ship is touching Kronshtadt’s dominance for some time in this regard. Maybe if Alaska or Royal Navy battlecruisers get introduced into the game as tier IX cruisers will Kronshtadt have some form of competition.
Top Speed: 33.5kts
Turning Radius: 840m
Rudder Shift Time: 14.9s
Maximum Rate of Turn: 4.9º/s
What it would have needed to be : Kronshtadt’s cardinal sin is not having enough speed. Even a knot more juice would alleviate many of her manoeuvrability woes.
AA Battery Calibers: 100mm / 37mm / 13.2mm
AA Umbrella Ranges: 5.0km / 3.5km / 1.2km
AA DPS per Aura: 59.4 / 85.4 / 30.6
What it would have needed to be : The best way to nudge her up would be to replace her 152mm secondaries with more dual-purpose 100mm mounts instead. This would give her some long-range teeth and make her at least comparable to the other tier IX cruisers.
Detection Range when Firing from Smoke: 12.45km
What it would have needed to be : At a mininum, she would have to lose a kilometer or more off her surface detection. Access to Hydroacoustic Search or a Catapult Fighter wouldn’t hurt either.
- Start with Priority Target.
- Take Adrenaline Rush at tier two.
- Then follow it up with Superintendent at tier three.
- And finally get Concealment Expert at tier four.
This is a simple, generalist build for Kronshtadt. Note, if you’re using a special Soviet commander with his bonus perks, then consider dropping Basics of Survivability for Preventative Maintenance and High Alert.
- It’s a cruiser.
- No, really, it’s a cruiser. She’ll try and fool you though.
- The only time she plays like a battleship occurs when there are no other battleships around. Then all of the good and bad of battleship play makes itself felt in full.
Quack quack quack.
Kronshtadt has the same asking price as Musashi and Missouri before her — 750,000 free experience + 1 credit. This works out to the equivalent of exchanging 30,000 doubloons at a 1:25 doubloon to free-experience exchange rate or 21,429 doubloons if you wait for a 1:35 exchange special. If you paid full cost, you’re looking for at as much as $130 USD for this ship.
- PVE Battles
How well does the ship maintain profitability in Co-Op modes and how does she fare against bots?
Yes. Kronshtadt plays like a battleship in co-op and battleships rule the roost in this game mode.
- Random Battle Grinding:
This includes training captains, collecting free experience, earning credits and collecting signal flags from achievements.
Yes. You don’t need a specialized commander to do well in Kronshtadt so she makes a good trainer for a commander of any ship type. She has all of the right tools for farming medals too.
- For Competitive Gaming:
Competitive Gaming includes Ranked Battles and other skill-based tournaments. This also includes stat-padding.
Yes. While there hasn’t been a tier IX Ranked or Clan Wars, she’d be well suited to it. As it is, if you’re looking to pad your cruiser numbers for farming up some of those badges, you can’t go wrong with Kronshtadt.
- For Collectors:
If you enjoy ship history or possessing rare ships, this section is for you.
No. I’m sure the design of Kronshtadt has some wonderful bit of history to it, but I’m not aware of it.
- For Fun Factor:
Bottom line: Is the ship fun to play?
Yes. Kronshtadt did me no wrongs during testing.
- What’s the Final Verdict?
How would the ship rate on an Angry YouTuber scale of Garbage – Meh – Gud – Overpowered?
GARBAGE – The boat is unbalanced, not fun to play and weak. The ship desperately needs some buffs or some quality of life changes.
Mehbote – An average ship. Has strengths and weaknesses. Doesn’t need buffs to be viable however she’s not going to be considered optimal.
Gudbote – A powerful ship, often one of the best ships at a given role within its tier. Usually considered optimal for a given task.
OVERPOWERED – The boat is unbalanced and powerful. Typically she’s either horrible to play against or she redefines the meta entirely.
For those of you combing through images looking for Community Contributor codes, you can relax. I didn’t put any in there. All of my codes for May are already used up and I’m not expecting more until June rolls around.
- Ship Comrade – http://shipcomrade.com/
- World of Warships North American Forums – https://forum.worldofwarships.com/
- World of Warships European Forums – https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/
- World of Warships Wiki – http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships
- World of Warships Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/
- iChase’s YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming
- Farazeth’s YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/user/farazelleth
- Vehicles from Video Games – https://gamemodels3d.com/
- ProShips – http://proships.ru/news/
- SEA Group – https://sea-group.org/
- The Armored Patrol – https://thearmoredpatrol.com/
- World of Warships AP Penetration Calculator – https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/
- Chobittsu Studios, Mouse & Lert artwork – https://chobittsu-studios.deviantart.com/
- Kantai Collection, fan works and official artwork – http://www.dmm.com/netgame_s/kancolle/
- Chaofanatic’s YouTube Channel, for speedlines – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cs11HaqEA
- Victory Belles, https://victorybelles.tumblr.com/
- Azur Lane, http://www.azurlane.jp/
- Imgur for Image Hosting – https://imgur.com/
- Pixlr for picture editing – https://pixlr.com/
- Ezgif for animation – https://ezgif.com/
- Gif Maker for well… duh … making gifs. http://gifmaker.org/
- National Center for Educational Statistics for graph making – https://nces.ed.gov/
- Google Docs for spreadsheets and data archiving – https://www.google.ca/docs/about/
- World of Warships (duh)
- Notepad (seriously)
- MS Paint (also, seriously)
- iPhone Stopwatch App (yep)
Hardware: Mouse toils away on an old i7-2600K 3.40GHz computer with 16GB RAM and an Nvidia 560Ti GPU running a 64bit OS.