I think I’m a clone now. Wait, am I the clone if I’m the original ship but I got finalized second?
- Equipped with a modified British Cruiser Repair Party that heals up to 40% of her hit points per charge.
- Capable of delivering massive alpha strike volleys with her fifteen 152mm guns.
- Good fire starting potential.
- Shell ballistics allow her to make good use of island cover.
- Decent anti-aircraft firepower, including receiving a bonus charge of her Defensive AA Fire consumable.
- Citadel is exposed over the waterline beneath her funnels.
- Horrible 10 second reload on her main battery.
- Terribly short-ranged at 13.6km and long shell flight times.
- Horrible fire arcs.
- Slow 30.0 knot top speed with a bad rate of turn.
- Clone of Nueve de Julio. Identical in all respects save for nationality, name and skin.
Skill Floor: Simple / Casual / Challenging / Difficult
Skill Ceiling: Low / Moderate / High / Extreme
Boise’s ability to go Wolverine and heal back impossible levels of damage will allow veterans to make some daring plays that would otherwise get Helena killed. To be clear, Boise’s lack of range and mobility is a detriment, but it’s not as bad as all that. Kiting and proper use of cover can more than make up for these short comings. Bwahahaha! Short.
– One of, if not the worst at its tier. This is a pronounced weakness.– Middle of the pack at its tier. Not terrible, but not terribly good either.
– Has a significant advantage over her tier mates. A solid, competitive performer.
– No other ship at its tier does this as well as this ship.
- While she’s still-cruiser squishy, so is everything else at tier VII. She’s arguably the protected cruiser at her tier. Yes, Nueve de Julio and Boise share the laurels here.
- Boise is slow and, what’s more, she has a slow rate of turn She deserves her rating and then some.
- In all other aspects, Boise only warrants a rating. Her anti-aircraft firepower is decent but not enough to compete with Flint, Atlanta and Helena. Her concealment is okay but she’s no British cruiser. Finally, her firepower is too short ranged and too slow firing to ever compete for anything better than at tier VII.
- As an American cruiser, she gains an extra charge of her Defensive AA Fire, with three charges initially, upgrading to four with the premium version of the consumable.
- More importantly, she has access to a modified British cruiser Repair Party. This heals up to 40% of the ship’s hit points per charge over 20 seconds. She queues up to 33% of citadel damage and 50% of penetration damage.
- If you intend to use Hydroacoustic Search instead of Defensive AA Fire then consider taking the special upgrade, Hydroacoustic Search Modification 1 in your second slot. Otherwise, default to Steering Gears Modification 1. While kiting, Boise’s rudder gets shot out often. If you’re going to take the commander skill, Last Stand, then take Damage Control Modification 1.
- In your second slot, AA Guns Modification 2 is probably your best choice, regardless of your AA status and consumables. The extra range can often be enough to bluff away attack craft that will assume you’re about to use Defensive Fire. Boise doesn’t engage at distances where the dispersion bonus provided by Aiming Systems Modification 1 are really necessary.
- Finally, in your fourth slot, Steering Gears Modification 2 should be your go-to. However, if you like parking stationary behind islands, then you may find use out of Propulsion System Modification 2 in order to assist adjusting your position more quickly when spotted.
Boise comes with Type 10 Camouflage which provides:
- 50% bonus experience gains
- 10% reduction to maintenance costs
- 3% reduction in surface detection
- 4% reduction in enemy accuracy.
If you’ve completed the American Cruiser collection, you’ll have the option of swapping between two different colour palettes for Boise.
Main Battery: Fifteen 152mm/47 rifles in 5×3 turrets in an A-B-C-X-Y layout. A-B and X-Y are superfiring to the fore and rear respectively. C turret is mounted at the same elevation as A but is rear-facing with limited forward arcs.
Secondary Battery: Eight 127mm/25 rifles mounted amidships between the bridge and funnels.
Your best bet is to make gratuitous use of island cover. This will keep you alive and it may even allow you to get the drop on some enemies that aren’t expecting you to be working so close to them. Her high ballistic arcs on her HE shells will largely facilitate this. Just be aware that her AP shells do not behave in the same manner if you need to switch ammunition choices. If you get the opportunity to blow out a citadel, you may be forced to crawl out from under the skirts of your island waifu to get the kill shot.
AP shells in blue (top) and HE shells in red (bottom). Boise has comparable sustained damage output to a twelve-gun light-cruiser. Her real strength is in the alpha-strike from her initial volleys.
An Omaha discovers, to its peril, that Boise is quite capable of one-shotting it with its AP shells at over 11km distant.
This isn’t to say she should eschew the use of armour piercing (AP) shells entirely. With 150mm of penetration up to 10km, Boise is capable of landing citadel hits against exposed enemy cruisers inside of this range. With up to fifteen shells landing at a time she’s quite capable of one-shotting many of the cruisers she faces. Have fun sniping those Omahas.
Boise’s fire arcs are garbage.. Exposing her X and Y turret to enemies on her forward quarter opens up her to taking AP citadel hits in return. She has better fire angles rearward so long as you keep C-turret masked.
- Highly dependent on Inertial Fuse for HE Shells to make them competitive.
- Once that skill is in place, they become universal guns with great alpha strike and competitive DPM.
- Typical American light-cruiser guns otherwise — very floaty, very short ranged. Hug islands and kite your way to success.
What it would have needed to be : Boise is a long ways off here and is only spared a rating thanks to Duca degli Abruzzi being such a turd.
Hit Points: 33,300
Maximum Citadel Protection: 127mm
Min Bow & Deck Armour: 16mm
What would have to happen to DOWNGRADE to : Unless something else gets super mutant British-heals at tier VII, Boise and Nueve de Julio are going to hold onto this one for a while.
Boise cannot maintain even 24 knots in a turn. This affects her rotation rate and makes her feel very sluggish. This gets pretty harrowing when there’s fish on the way or you need to dodge incoming shell fire and it taxes her Repair Party as a result.
Top Speed: 30.0kts
Turning Radius: 710m
Rudder Shift Time: 9.1s
Maximum Rate of Turn: ~5.2º/s
What it would have needed to be : A gym membership and a whole lot of commitment to getting in shape.
AA Battery Calibers: 127mm / 40mm / 20mm
AA Umbrella Ranges: 4.2km / 3.5km / 2.0km
AA DPS per Aura: 58.4 / 131.4 / 48.8
What it would have needed to be : Boise is a long way off from being able to contest Atlanta and Flint for supremacy. Upgrading her 127mm/25s to 127mm/38s to get that 5.0km base range would be a good start.
What it would have needed to be : It’s not going to happen. She’d need a Smoke Generator at the very least to begin to contest Fiji and Flint.
- Start with Priority Target.
- At tier two, take either Last Stand or Adrenaline Rush. The former will help keep you alive from inevitable steering gears damage when kiting. The latter is a flat out DPM increase for your guns. We’ll come back to these skills later, so move on to tier 3 after picking one of the two.
- Next, take Superintendent. This gives you an extra charge of your Repair Party which is Boise’s great strength.
- At tier 4, you’re going to double up. Take either Concealment Expert or Inertial Fuse for HE Shells and then save up your next four points to pick up whichever skill you didn’t grab the first time.
- Slip back down to tier 3 and take Demolition Expert for your sixth (17pt) skill.
- And finally, we’re back down to tier 2. If you have not taken Adrenaline Rush as your first skill here, take it now. Otherwise, you can look at taking something else, like Expert Marksman if Last Stand doesn’t appeal.
Would I Recommend?
It’s worth repeating: Nueve de Julio and Boise are clones of one another gameplay wise. The only marked difference is which nations flag they sail under and some fun cosmetic changes.
- PVE Battles
How well does the ship maintain profitability in Co-Op modes and how does she fare against bots?
Very yes. Short of her top speed being a bit of an issue in scenarios, Boise will do wonderfully here.
- Random Battle Grinding:
This includes training captains, collecting free experience, earning credits and collecting signal flags from achievements.
Yes. For a gunnery focused light cruiser trainer, Boise is fantastic. She’ll overlap the same artillery-based skills that you’ll use from Dallas through to Cockbote. If you want an AA trainer instead, I would suggest Atlanta.
- For Competitive Gaming:
Competitive Gaming includes Ranked Battles and other skill-based tournaments. This also includes stat-padding.
Meh. Heals are great in competitive — especially if there’s not any battleship around. If there are, however, her longevity and influence gets much more brief and you’d be better suited looking at Flint, Belfast or Fiji.
- For Collectors:
If you enjoy ship history or possessing rare ships, this section is for you.
Yes. Boise received 11 Battle Stars during WWII.
- For Fun Factor:
Bottom line: Is the ship fun to play?
No. This ship didn’t tick the right boxes for me. She’s decent, but I didn’t enjoy her overmuch (aside from occasionally blowing out the citadel of an unwary cruiser with a Devastating Strike).
- What’s the Final Verdict?
How would the ship rate on an Angry YouTuber scale of Garbage – Meh – Gud – Overpowered?
GARBAGE – The boat is unbalanced, not fun to play and weak. The ship desperately needs some buffs or some quality of life changes.
Mehbote – An average ship. Has strengths and weaknesses. Doesn’t need buffs to be viable however she’s not going to be considered optimal.
Gudbote – A powerful ship, often one of the best ships at a given role within its tier. Usually considered optimal for a given task.
OVERPOWERED – The boat is unbalanced and powerful. Typically she’s either horrible to play against or she redefines the meta entirely.
- Ship Comrade – http://shipcomrade.com/
- World of Warships North American Forums – https://forum.worldofwarships.com/
- World of Warships European Forums – https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/
- World of Warships Wiki – http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships
- World of Warships Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/
- iChase’s YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming
- Farazeth’s YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/user/farazelleth
- Vehicles from Video Games – https://gamemodels3d.com/
- ProShips – http://proships.ru/news/
- SEA Group – https://sea-group.org/
- The Armored Patrol – https://thearmoredpatrol.com/
- World of Warships AP Penetration Calculator – https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/
- Chobittsu Studios, Mouse & Lert artwork – https://chobittsu-studios.deviantart.com/
- Kantai Collection, fan works and official artwork – http://www.dmm.com/netgame_s/kancolle/
- Chaofanatic’s YouTube Channel, for speedlines – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cs11HaqEA
- Victory Belles, https://victorybelles.tumblr.com/
- Azur Lane, http://www.azurlane.jp/
- Imgur – https://imgur.com/
- Pixlr for picture editing – https://pixlr.com/
- Ezgif for animation – https://ezgif.com/
- Gif Maker for well… duh … making gifs. http://gifmaker.org/
- National Center for Educational Statistics for graph making – https://nces.ed.gov/
- Google Docs for spreadsheets and data archiving – https://www.google.ca/docs/about/
- World of Warships (duh)
- Notepad (seriously)
- MS Paint (also, seriously)
- iPhone Stopwatch App (yep)
Hardware: Mouse toils away on an old i7-2600K 3.40GHz computer with 16GB RAM and an Nvidia 560Ti GPU running a 64bit OS.